Sunday, August 21, 2005

Acu-caCHU!

Can you imagine, the doc sticken the needle in your back and sneezing. Ewwwe, I shudder. “Ooops, I wasn't supposed to go that deep. Ha, well, come back next week and I'll do it for free, :-P as it is, I need to go get my magnet, be right back. NURSE!”

:-) oh how my mind works, ... so, did anyone figure out the answer to my question? I was disappointed that no one mentioned it if they did. If you are reading this and have not read Acu-PUNCTURE!!! please do so first. It's just below this message.

Look...up in the sky! It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a frog. A FROG??? Not bird nor plane nor even frog, it's just little old me ... Under Dog! Ah the North American love affair with the underdog. It started when we were kids!

Ok, where was I? Yes, so I went back in again. This time I knew a little more of what to expect. Or so I thought. After a most wonderful electric shock massage, (your welcome Darren :-), the doc comes in to stick me with needles.

Now, I learned a long long time ago that if you tense up when you're getting a shot it hurts 5-10 worse. Interesting pain study I saw recently. If you believe something is going to be painful, it is. The researches told half of their guinea pigs that the electric shock they would receive would be slightly painful at first and would be increased in pain levels incrementally. They were told that the study was to determine the pain thresh-hold of the avg. person. The other half of the guinea pigs were told that the electric stimulus would not be painful hardly at all. Obviously, the study was to determine how much our preconceived ideas affect our reactions. Well, you guessed it, there was a dramatic difference between the two groups. It was actually pretty funny watching the first group of guinea pigs react. Talk about over reacting. But the thing is, they were actually experiencing real pain. The latter group though, at the same levels experienced discomfort but not pain.

So, there you have it. What most of us have known to be true for many years, has been scientifically verified. Where does one get a job like that. Man, if I would have only known that such opportunities existed as a kid, I could have started young. :-) Imagine what I could have learned with my family's help. Ahhhahahahaha evil grin. Or university! Man I missed out! I could have done all sorts of cool things for grades. In some ways, it's kinda like bein a youth pastor :-) hmmmm, I need to hang out and play for a living, hmmmmmm (please note that most youth pastors are clinically insane and well, it's the only thing that keeps us from going crazy as we watch these kids we dearly care about making many painful mistakes.) I still pray for those kids. On the other side though, are the wonderful experiences of watching kids grow and learn and go for God. I don't think there is anything more wonderful. But, this blog is not about pastoring or doing many cool experiments on people heh heh heh :-P

So, knowing that tensing up only makes things worse and predetermined pain ideas vastly affect the outcome, I relax myself when I'm getting a shot or having blood drawn. I actually began to find it, not entertaining, but really interesting. The wildest thing I've ever watched was when the nurse jammed an I.V. in my hand. Talk about an intimidating looking device. Ahhhhhhhhhhh! So, mental switch, wow that thing looks pretty cool. It's v shaped and slides right in thereee, ah, over, thanks. lol

So back to my original story. I'm lying on the table and the doc starts sticking me with those needles. Ouch, oh ya, relax, uh ahhhh, relax, ok, better, relax, untense, OWWWWWWWEEEEEEE! What the HECK WAS THAT!!!!!!!! Man! when he stuck me with the one needle, I actually arched up off the table and writhed around, and he kept right on going! twisting, turning. And he LAUGHED!!! Ooooo, that's not good. grrrrrr. When the doc sticks the needle in, the final thing is to twist it left and right a few times. Man did that hurt. wow. Twernt no little needle, I think he stuck a hook in me and went fishing!

Well, as quickly as it started it was over, I sorta relaxed again and he was on to the next needle and it hurt too, not as bad, just because I was tensed up. I can't believe he laughed. I think he needs a needle.... right, must be less American and more Canadian. :-P (speaking of which, I have a blog waiting to go on this very subject) Obviously he hit a sore spot in my back. That or his little map was off a little. I think he's off a little.

And so I layed there, afraid to move, (remember last time?) and thinking, this would be alot more effective if they had a table that didn't hurt so much. And again, the shoulders go numb, ribs contact there thug friends, and adjustments have to be made. In spite of all this, after a few days, I felt much better. Still am, though my bed is working hard at taking care of that. lol :-)

So, there you have it. I think you should run out and try this acu-needles thing and write to me about your experience. Could be fun. I know, it will be our experiment. :-) heh heh heh

:-P

1 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL so many wonderful comments, where to begin. :-D

The cape, oh that's too funny.

So, a body pillow eh. Does your wife know you refer to her that way? I'm not married but I can only imagine that women would not like being referred to as a pillow, soft and fluffy and all.
:-P

Kathy, I think you and Jane should get together and get the point :-P of it all before you practice on me!

Jane, I hate to tell you this but I don't think it was an acupuncturist demonstration. Sounds more like a punk rock clinic. Walkin around with needles in your ears... yep, definitely punk rock. Who knew, Jane, a punker. Did they offer to colour your hair? :-P

"You should see my cape".... oh brother. lol

Thanks for the laughs. I can only hope that my blog brings as many to you. :-)

Me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home